Friday, April 2, 2010

The Update Issue

Since it's been (gulp!) a very long time that I've posted, I'll enlighten you to what I've been up to. I have been plotting and planning to have a kick-butt garden that I can feed my family from year 'round. It does sound easy since it's just the three of us. BUT, since my toddler LOVES veggies, I need to grow twice as many and I think I need. I started lettuce and spinach at the beginning of March and we're already harvesting! Ever hear a toddler beg for lettuce?

During the winter I vowed to go through our boxes full of who-knows-what and make a quick choice: give, sell, trash or treasure. I allow three to four treasure boxes that are keepsakes and memories. Items that you never look at but can't bare parting with. I'm happy to report that we've gone from 30 boxes to 6!! It feels like a huge weight off my shoulders. However, now I have to organize a garage sale to rid of it all. I have already donated my son's stuff to either my brother and my friend, Sue.

I have also stepped up my recycling/reusing/consuming less goal. I keep all plastic containers to start my veggies in before they hit the garden. My glass containers are reused for all sorts of things - I made lots of homemade hot chocolate during the winter months and would give it away to visitors. My son's 11 year old told me it was better than the "crap you buy in the store." I didn't like that he used crap, but his message was louder than the borderline cursing. I also compost all matter that I can. The Hub now goes to the dump every 2 weeks with 1 trashcan full. It does help that the toddler is completely potty trained!! (HUGE goal in my eyes!!)

So, what are your plans for this year?

1 comment:

Gettysburg Mom said...

Sue says thank you for all the clothes.

I'm trying a garden of sorts here, but it's a pain in the ass (pardon my borderline obscene language...:D) because we have red clay as far as the eyes can see and need to import dirt in which to grow things. Stupid clay.

I've also stepped up my watching of TV including shows such as Hoarders- which really keep me from holding onto stuff. Most of the stuff I watch on TV is no doubt the very programming that makes you think TV is all crap. (Sorry again.)