Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winter Freeze

Are you aware of the Artic air blasting this area? You're not??






It was -8 this morning at my house and within 2 hours, it dropped to -10. A town away, it was -17. Tomorrow, as can tell from the above forecast, isn't supposed to be any warmer. I'm actually wearing long underwear and my Ugg boots at work - just too cold to take anything off. I'd probably be wearing my mittens if I could!


Many of you are probably wondering what I'm doing living here and how do I survive this cold? It's not really THAT bad. Yeah, my car chugged to a start this morning. And my snot froze instantly when I stepped outside. But, the sky is a beautiful BLUE - See:



I can't complain! My friend City Mouse (here) is wondering if I have any stories to report. None so far today. But the day is still early. I'm pretty sure someone will wonder into my place of employment and we'll discuss the weather. But I have seen someone side-checking hockey style their driver side door of their car since it was obviously frozen shut.

I really love when it's this cold. Why? Because there's no wind, no snow - nothing but cold, crisp air. The whole reason why people flocked to this area to begin with. I enjoy listening to the trees creak from the sap being frozen. Plus, everyone moves at a slower pace ...maybe because they are partially frozen too.

Stay Warm!

(weather from accuweather.com, blue sky photo from my new camera via Santa Hubby)

3 comments:

Phill said...

"The whole reason why people flocked to this area to begin with."

Wish I were up there "taking the cure!" I have several books about all that alpine air/curing stuff. Really interesting. I think at this point, I can almost name cure cottages in town by name. Gabriels' forecast says -29 tonight!!

Gettysburg Mom said...

"I really love when it's this cold. Why? Because there's no wind, no snow - nothing but cold, crisp air. The whole reason why people flocked to this area to begin with."

Don't fool yourself. It was summer that was the draw. You ever try to enjoy a cure porch in -20. I believe they call them "bedrooms" in the Saranac Lake apartment rental world.

And, it's super cold here too, you know. We're supposed to get overnight lows in the single digits. [Just because it's my time of year to gloat. You'll get your turn in August.]

Phill said...

Talked to Ted today on the phone - I'm told you're all doing well up there. LOL Mercifully, there's no storm.