Friday, December 12, 2008

Visitors

I work with the public. With the worn Welcome Mat at my front door. I see ALL types of people. I do business with some people that understand completely what I'm saying and I know others are just smiling in nodding. Hey, whatever works for you.

Yesterday these folks from California came in. They were very curious how we live in a climate like this - all cold and such. You think this is cold? Were you in town Monday when it was -12 with an overall high of 8 for the day? No, you missed that and you think THIS is cold? Huh.

They went on to talk about a snowman they tried to create with their son but the snow was too dry to make a snowman. So his wife went in and got a large pot of water figuring she would be able to mix some of the snow together to get it to thicken; like gravy. What does water do when it's below 32 degrees? They ended up with a bit chunk of ice!

Thanx for visiting!

3 comments:

Gettysburg Mom said...

Just when you think you've heard it all...

On the other side, I remember once stopping for gas in Placid when it was -30 and the wind was blowing. The clerk said something about how it gets worse and I sort of snarled back, "Don't try to scare me because I live here. This is about as bad as it gets." Locals do find sport in terrorizing tourists with weather horror stories.

Hang in there lady. It'll be June soon.

cneddy said...

stupidity should be painful...

Phill said...

My neighbor is fond of talking about his eight foot snow drifts. What he doesn't say is that those drifts are from plowing his store's parking lot and driveway.