Thursday, March 12, 2009

Auntie 'Em!!

Welcome to Kansas!

We had serious winds last night that were clocked at 53 mph! I was worried that a tree was going to fall. I didn't care if it fell on the house, on my car but DON'T fall into the driveway! I'd be trapped either home or out of home. My experience with a chainsaw doesn't exists. {Reason #4,693 why I married.} So, I would be at Mother Nature's mercy.

We have these two blue spruce trees that I adore that line our driveway. I love their teal color. But since our property was entirely forest, when we opened it up, we were bound to get some trees that couldn't take the open wind. These spruces have cracked and are bon-fire bound maybe this summer. I was talking to a local builder and he said that blue spruce do not live long and they are prone to being blown down so I should just cut them down now. No, not going to happen.

In other entertainment was this mornings' commute to work and playing "dodge the blowing _____". Last night I had to dodge an ice shanty that crossed the road from Lake Colby. This morning there were multiple trees, garbage cans, sap buckets and scattered random garbage.

2 comments:

Gettysburg Mom said...

Don't scoff at the inconvenience of a tree landing on your car. It has happened to me not once, but twice- with two different cars. I also don't recommend the tree landing on your house. It could result in a lack of power for six months. The tree across the driveway? "Gosh, sorry work. Can't make it in today. Tree across the driveway and I don't know how to work the chainsaw..."

Of course, they'll think your lying. Every Adirondack girl knows how to work a chainsaw.

Phill said...

A tree landed on our neighbors brand new Suburban last Summer. Ouch! We're mostly old farmland by us though, so it doesn't happen too too often. An ENTIRE ice shanty blew across the road?!! That's crazy! I was just looking at those a week ago thinking, "Um, isn't it time they moved those things?"